I first fell in love with the city when we arrived at Amsterdam’s Central Station and was flabbergasted at every street, post and three story parking lot consumed with bikes. People call Amsterdam ‘Sin City’ but I saw a city structured the way I think God intended cities to be structured. Each morning Aleke Dekker gave a message focused on the importance of being present. The world and the Christian bubble are not meant to be as separate as we associate them to be, they are right beside each other, and as Christians we ought to be walking that narrow road between the two were we drink and are filled by the spirit on one side and spill out his love on the other. I was most encouraged during our last hour of being present in Sin City when a complete stranger walked up to us in the train station and ask “is this the prayer circle for the morning?”. We didn’t know what he was talking about or why he would ask that but we answered “umm…it can be”. He began to tell us about his life and eventually we asked if we could pray for him. He answered with tears streaming down his face “Yes! That’s why I came here”. So, BE PRESENT in the world! No strings attached, no agenda, just be there. If you are truly a lover of God and his people they will recognize you.
Hi Freyja,
ReplyDeleteGood to see you have a blog. I agree about the church reaching out. I was happy to learn that Sirch is expanding the community kitchen at HUC.
Here is Arizona the church we attend bought a house, retrofitted for a clothes outpost; are putting in a washer and dryer; a bank of computers; having a dance class for free and lots of other ideas. They are a church reaching out.
I am sending you an email but thought it would be fun for you to get a comment.
Thanks Jan :) thats awesome about the Arizona Church! I really should write another post ASAP and tell my readers more about what the Church here is doing ! its been awesome to witness and be a part of God! its so funny how God kicks us some times and just reminds us of this bigger picture he invites us to participate in !
ReplyDelete